- Learn how to needle felt, make a cute animal or why not try to copy your own pet? Watch online videos and find supplies at hobbycraft
- Learn how to knit – watch an online video, find lots of free knitting patterns on craft sites and yarn suppliers sites, try love crafts and hobbycraft
- Learn to play chess, if you haven ‘t got a set try the online games at https://www.chesskid.com
- Gather up sticks, twigs, recycled material and anything you can find to make an outdoor sculpture. Take inspiration from the Yorkshire Sculpture Park website. Why not plan a visit later in the year and join one of their workshops at https://ysp.org.uk/visit
- Send pictures of your artwork to The Hepworth Wakefield in West Yorkshire and get them published on the online gallery at https://hepworthwakefield.org/your-gallery/
- Take The Hepworth Gallery Art Challenges at https://hepworthwakefield.org/thwcreates-challenge/
- Paper and pencil at the ready, join the Tate Liverpool for a surreal story art challenge at Tate Kids
- Make a self-portrait instead of a selfie! Use paints, felt tips, collage or paper mache.
- Give a family member a manicure and paint their nails in rainbow colours.
- Have a fashion show with a catwalk and music, put different outfits together, do a make-over for Mum and Dad and create a new look for them, then make a magazine with the photos.
- Use up food don’t let it go to waste, budding chefs can think up some new recipes, try out new food tastes and let the family guess what the ingredients are and give you marks out of ten. Great British menu here we come!
- Give someone a manicure and paint nails in rainbow colours
- Make unique jewellery from waste plastic bottles, look online for inspiration. Get ideas and kits from here
- Everyone should be thinking about re-modelling, re-sizing and recycling. Don’t send cast off clothes to the land fill, re-model and make something unique. Find lots of inspiration online, look at sewing websites such as sewmag and gathered and watch the new series of The Great British Sewing Bee, on in the spring.
- Make paper planes out of junk mail and have competitions to see whose flies the furthest, find super planes on this great instruction website here.
- If you’ve got DIY jobs to do in the house & garden, let the kids lend a hand and learn some of the basic skills, use the power tools if they are old enough and get to grips with measuring and fitting.
Liked this feature? Drop us a line and let us know what else you’d like to see from us at info email@example.com.
Also, you can many more great family things to do and ideas to help during the lockdown…here
In support of families, we have switched our gaze from looking for local ideas and inspiration for things to do and places to go with your family to ideas and inspirations for things to do at home, in the garden and safely in the wider outdoors. Sign up to our e-newsletter here for all this information delivered safely to your inbox.