For a great place to visit and take the kids on a step back in time go to Edinburgh's enthralling Lauriston Castle.
2a Cramond Road South, Davidson\'s Mains, Edinburgh
Tel: 0131 336 2060
Gardens and Open Spaces, Museums and Art Centres
Ages 5 - 12, Schools and Groups, Teenagers
(based on family of 4)
Visit Lauriston Castle, and you see it just as it was in 1926, when Mrs Reid, it’s last owner, left it to the nation. Mr W R Reid was owner of Morison & Company, a leading Edinburgh cabinet making business and it was he who designed and decorated the castle interiors between 1902 and 1919. Lauriston contains his wonderful collections of Blue John, a mineral found only in Derbyshire; Sheffield Plate and Crossley Wool mosaics. Furnishings include intricate and luxurious Eastern carpets and rugs and southern Italian furniture, and of course many fine examples of furniture from Morison & Co. The collections were put together with great care to create a most elegant and comfortable modern Edwardian home.
The tours of Lauriston Castle include the principal rooms, including Mr Reid’s well-equipped study and the tastefully designed drawing room; the stylish dining room and the library. William Barton, Mrs Reid’s brother also lived at Lauriston. He ran a large-scale business, installing plumbing and electrical work. Working closely with his brother-in-law’s cabinet making and interior design Company, they turned Lauriston into the epitome of a modern Edwardian home by installing bathrooms, electric lighting and central heating. On occasion the kitchen will be opened to provide an interesting contrast between upstairs and downstairs.
The gardens were laid out by William Henry Playfair in the 1840s and much of the planting dates to this period. The gardens have wonderful views out over Cramond Island and the Forth. The award-winning Japanese Friendship garden, gifted by the prefecture of Kyoto, is a tranquil place for quiet contemplation.
The Castle itself has three main periods of construction. The oldest part is the tower house dating from around 1593. Between 1824-27 the Architect William Burn added a two-storey extension. The final addition was the library, which was added in the 1870s.
Free entry to the grounds. Reduced opening times during Winter, check website for details.