Glasgow Museums Resource Centre

In a nutshell

A unique peek at what you can't see in Glasgow's museums. The other 98% of items held in the centre are available for the public to view.


200 Woodhead Road, South Nitshill Industrial Estate, Glasgow G53 7NN

Contact details

Tel: 0141 276 9300

Activity type

Indoor Activities, Museums and Art Centres, Science and Technology

Suitable for

All ages

Price guide


(based on family of 4)

Glasgow Museums Resource Centre details...

For a different day out indoors why not take the kids to see one of the best and biggest collections of everything in the world at Glasgow Museums Resource Centre? Glasgow Museums’ Resource Centre is a state-of-the-art storage facility opened first in 2003, when it held exhibits from Kelvingrove Museum while it was being refurbished. The centre was extended in 2009 to house items from the Museum of Transport whilst the new Riverside Museum was being constructed. Around 1.4 million objects are housed in 15.000m2 of temperature and humidity controlled storage pods. Items in storage include Art, Archaeology, Technology and World Culture items. Amazingly, Glasgow Museums can only display around 2% of the items in their collection at any one time and so the GMRC hoses the other 98% (or thereabouts)!

Glasgow Museum’s Resource Centre is fairly unique, as it is one of the very few in the world that is open to the public. Entry to the centre is free and it is open every day from 10.00 – 17.00 (11.00 – 17.00 Friday and Sunday). Note that tours MUST be booked in advance.

The centre also hosts Family Fun Workshops every Saturday afternoon, from 1.30 – 4.00 pm. Using materials such as foil and tin cans you can create a wide range of individual and unique sculptures. Owls, windmills and squinty bugs are just some of the items that have been created. Some can be seen in the GMRC outdoor sculpture gallery. The workshops are free, and on a drop-in basis, so no booking is required.

Glasgow Museums Resource Centre reviews...

0 reviews

Get your local Vouchers, Competitions & Events news first with our free newsletter!

Go back
Coronavirus Notice

Stay safe. Coronavirus advice is being updated regularly. Some attractions are starting to reopen with social distancing measures in place. Enjoy browsing the site for trips and please check directly with the venue before visiting.  Let’s Go with the Children is here to help and support families with ideas and information on what attractions are re-opening.